“I knew who I was this morning, but I’ve changed a few times since then.” -Alice
…I feel ya Alice.
For this assignment I had to pick a restaurant and make a menu (or re-do their current one). I choose this really cool spot in Clarksville, TN that has an Alice in Wonderland theme. It is a really unique environment, with delicious food, and amazing bakery specialties (mmm…cake!). I wanted to create a menu that reflects the relaxed, dreamy, and artsy vibe that they have going on.
Here’s how I made it all happen…
- I found a really cool screen shot of The Blue Caterpillar from the movie, then created a new document in Photoshop, and placed the picture on a new layer. Grabbed my quick selection tool, picked him out of his background, and deleted the background. Positioned him on the bottom corner and set the blend mode to luminosity.
- Then I went back to my background layer and used my paint bucket to fill it with a new color. Then added a radial gradient overlay.
- I added a new layer under the caterpillar with a “vintage geometric” pattern I found on Adobe Assets, set the opacity at 25% and set the blending mode to color burn.
- Then I grabbed a soft edged brush and drew my big cloud of smoke. Set the blend mode to hard light, opacity of 75%, added an outer glow, and a color overlay (because I didn’t like the color I drew it in).
- I used the custom shape tool to draw the white smoke. I originally drew it in another color, so I used a color overlay to change it to white, and set the opacity to 85%.
- I added 3 text layers for the logo. One for “The,” one for “Looking Glass,” and one for “Restaurant & Bakery.” I added a gradient overlay, and a drop shadow to “Looking Glass” to add some depth and make it pop. I also feel like the gradient ties into the look of smoke rising. The font families I used were “Memoriam Pro Headline,” and “Cochin Bold.”
- With my rectangle shape tool I drew out 4 different rectangles for the different menu categories, changed their colors, and played around with their opacity and blend modes to achieve the look I wanted.
- Grabbed my type tool and got to work on the category headlines and menu items. The font families I used were “Memoriam Pro Headline,” “Adobe Caslon Pro.”
That’s all y’all!